Thursday, April 17, 2008

Shirts as Tattoos and Email as Content

I can't help but seeem to want to combine two topics in each title. Maybe it is because I like distractions more than I like the real projects that I have to do and by having dueling topics I can keep my writing as incidental as possible.

Tattoos. Yes, this is obvious. T-shirt imagery is very similar to tattoos. This may be why I don't have many tattoos, but I do have a lot of shirt. I've been noticing this more as prints are showing up in a wider range of locations and in more subtle forms, this is indicative of the less obvious tattoo art.

I am going to start posting the responses that I have to email in this blog so that it can help people with questions. Maybe once I get enough answers it will be easier to format an FAQ. Also this will make me take more care in my answers since they will end up being published. The goal is to stop answering the same questions over and over again.

First entry is a rather common one:
Question:
Hello, how big of image are you can print for me
Answer:
My maximum print size is 10.5" X 12" approx. for the standard print pricing. We don't do all over printing at this time.

Question:
This order will require 2 color changes (We want the print in a total of 3 colors).
Answer:
Yes, that would be 2 color changes and each color change in the middle of a print run is $20 per color, as long as the artwork does not change.

Questions:
Im looking at getting around 20 t shirts printed, just wanting to know what size/ or restrictions there are with the actual design - how big is the area on the front of the t shirts that gets printed?

Also - with the one colour print, can that be any colour choice? - do I just specify the colour i would like when placing the order with the graphics.

One more question, sorry! How long would it take to process an order for 15-20 shirts with a one colour print?

Answers:
The setup cost for a one-color job is $30 for the screen. The maximum print area is 10.5" wide X 12" high. You can choose the ink color for your shirts. specify the color when you email the design. typical turnaround is 10-14 days.

2 comments:

Granny Sue said...

I've had the same thoughts as you about tattoos and tees. I got a tattoo 40 years ago and the Hippie art is very outdated and now annoying. Much better to change your "tattoo" and background color everyday depending on your mood.

I've been experimenting with methods of printing on kids' cotton tees. I hate the cutesy designs out there and want to print up more stylish shirts for kids. For now, I'm settling for high-end iron-on transfers from Dharma Trading, trimming and then ironing them on. (Maybe later I'll get a heat press.)

I posted a comment before under your topic of organic cotton tees. Like you, I wish there were better choices of organic blank clothing and safe, durable nontoxic printing inks. I read your blog with interest and admire your determination in experimenting with organic substances. I just keep thinking there has got to be an easier way to tattoo clothing artistically. Something so easy and clean that nobody has ever thought of it before.

All best, Granny Sue

p.s. When potential customers ask you about the screenprinting set- up charge, tell them to try it themselves sometimes. It's a LOT of messy work. Stinky, too.

Bill W said...

glad you use Dharma, I enjoy stopping by there and reading labels.