Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hi-Density Printing and the Emulsion that makes it possible

Hi-Density printing, or thick as a brick ink has always been problematic to me because of the screen making process required to have a thick enough stencil to on the screen that would allow a super thick build-up of ink when printing. I stopped at one booth at the ISS tradeshow that had a good strong hi-density screen as an example, can't remember the name of the company right now, but I was impressed with the crisp edges and durable feeling of the emulsion was. I plan to purchase a gallon of the stuff and give it a try, oh, but the good thing was that my previous experiments with the hi-density emulsion failed as I had to coat the screens many times to try and build up the thickness of the stencil. The process for this emulsion was explained as not having to dry in between coats. The way I tried high density emulsions in the past was by drying in between thick coats and it just got sloppy, messy and too difficult to expose the thickly coated screen.

No comments: